Monday, October 27, 2008

31 Things to do before Christmas – Christmas cards the easy way, part 1

(This is #18 of 31 in the 31 Things to do series)

Christmas cards the easy way, Part 1



I have to confess that I have blown it many years with Christmas cards. What's really pathetic is that I will buy the cards and still not send them. And then the guilt and shame is worse when the cards start flowing in to my mailbox from more "together" folks in my life. I feel so inadequate, like a failure. That may be a little dramatic, but it does make me feel bad because I realize that I haven't sent my cards out simply because of sheer procrastination.



But I know I am not alone. A lot of people have the best of intentions but for some reason, can not get those Christmas cards out on time.


I'm a baby steps, bite at a time type of person. So even some of the tasks that would be menial and a piece of cake to a lot of other people can be overwhelming to me, if I don't have a step by step plan of attack, or some kind of system. That's just the way I'm wired I suppose, give me a doable, not too intimidating plan and I can work the plan.



So here's a plan for tackling Christmas cards.



Day one (or step one).



In this step, just focus on gathering the stuff you need, that's it.



You won't be writing anything at this point so you don't have to worry about that even. By the way, it may sound strange to some of you people out there who have "the gift" but some of us, including me, get writer's block just making out greeting cards. I even run my greeting card wording by husband to make sure it is decent to leave our house, since he has "the gift" and I don't. There's a lot of times that I don't do cards and letters because I simply do not have the right words to say at the moment. So I know this is a real stumbling block for at least one person out there, even if that one reader is me! So if you do have the gift of words, be very thankful.



Anyways, back to the task at hand. Today, let's just focus on gathering the items you need:




  1. Names and addresses – Hopefully you have them in a central location like an address book and not scattered all over the place on pieces of paper, or on envelopes from mail you received from people. (Like some people I know…. eh-hem….personally)

  2. Christmas cards

  3. Stamps

  4. Return address labels if you have them, makes the job that much easier

  5. Pens

  6. Family photos or any inserts you want to add to the card


Once you have all these items together, put them your desk or table so you will be all set when you are ready to begin step two.

That's it for this step, you are half way there.

No comments: