Saturday, October 25, 2008

31 Things to do before Christmas – Smart Shopping

(This is #16 of 31 in the 31 Things to do series)

Going Shopping the smart way

This is the favorite part for a lot of people, shopping. I'm not a shopper, but I love a good deal. So if I'm going to shop, I have to be smart about it. Otherwise it is a draining experience and I feel bad about the money that I know I just wasted. That's just not fun.



Use the internet to help you out

The internet has made it much easier to be a smart shopper. You can research items before you go out to buy. You can find out who has better deals all with a few clicks, not running from place to place, wasting time and gas. And you can even do a lot of your Christmas shopping from the comfort of your own home, no lines, no waiting.


My favorite on-line merchants are the ones that offer free shipping. A lot of merchants will do this if you order a certain dollar amount or more. Free shipping is a big deal, a lot of merchants are hip to this and are doing it more and more. Customers do not like spending money on shipping especially if the shipping costs almost as much as what you bought.



Shop at smart times

I try to avoid stores on weekends during the holiday season. Unless you just like crowds and mayhem, I suggest you do the same. Some people get a rush out of all the hustle and bustle. If that's you, knock yourself out. I prefer shopping at slower times, that way I can hear myself think and can make better choices.



One stop shops are a timesaver.

I like shopping at department stores like Wal-mart and Target, because you can get so much done in one pop. If the mall is your thing, that can be a timesaver too because you have so many different types of shops in one location. But you can't beat the department stores for finding a good deal and saving money.

No comments: